Spoornet, also known by its official name Transnet Freight Rail is a part of the Transnet Limited company, which is a public company with the Government of South Africa as its sole shareholder.
Transnet is fully owned by the South African government but operates as a corporate entity aimed at both supporting and contributing to the country’s freight logistics network. It aims at developing South African industry, reducing the cost of doing business, while at the same time operating efficiently and profitably.
It is primarily a freight distribution network with over 38,000 employees spread all over the country. It boasts a vast network of interconnected rail networks and hauls a variety of different kinds of freight from South Africa to internal destinations as well as some destinations in 17 neighbouring countries. Transnet Freight Rail does a great job of driving the South African economy in a profitable and sustainable direction.
Transnet Freight Rail is the largest part of the Transnet limited company and is made up of 6 business units: Agriculture and Bulk liquids, Coal, Container and automotive, Iron ore and Manganese, Steel and Cement and Mineral Mining and Coal.
To be a part of Transnet Freight Rail is to be a part of the South African economy and infrastructure network. Transnet operates and an integrated freight transport company, formed around a core of five operating divisions that complement each other. These are supported by a number of Company-wide specialist functions such as Transnet Projects which underpin the group as a whole.
Transnet is made up of the following operating divisions:
• Transnet freight rail (formerly Spoornet – the freight rail division)
• Transnet rail engineering (formerly Transwerk – the rolling stock maintenance business)
• Transnet national ports authority (formerly the NPA – fulfils the landlord function for South Africa’s port system)
• Transnet port terminals (formerly SAPO – managing port and cargo terminal operations in the nation’s leading ports), and
• Transnet pipelines (formerly Petronet – the fuel and gas pipeline business, pumps and manages the storage of petroleum and gas products through its network of high-pressure, long distance pipelines)
Opening up are 4 positions for an Ambulance Emergency Assistant in Transnet’s Richard Bay Site. The closing date is March 7, 2017. For this job there are several requirements. To name a few you need:
-Proof of registration with HPCSA as an ILS (AEA)
-Valid Code B driver’s license with PDP and you’ll need excellent driving skills
-Clinical knowledge of ILS protocols
-6 months of relevant experience
For more information on this position, check out this page.
Spoornet has a strong vision for its employees and as such, candidates are expected to be among the highest professionally motivated people in the country. The company wishes to cultivate loyalty towards the rail industry and wishes to deliver this by offering superior service to its customers.
Well trained and motivated employees form the standard amongst the Transnet employees, and as a candidate you will expected to maintain and live with his ethos of great customer service as a primary motivator. As a leading rail and logistics entity, the company is expanding and transforming South Africa’s rail, port and pipeline infrastructure which will result in a significant increase in freight volumes, especially in commodities such as iron ore, coal and manganese. This will also lead to a significant modal shift from road to rail.
Spoornet is embarking on a great holistic employee centred training programme on the next seven years and will assist in attracting and retaining the very best in talent and the company as a whole wish to become an employer of choice.
The company has the following core values, and as a prospective employee you will be expected to uphold these at all times:
• We DELIVER on our promises
• We treat each other with DIGNITY and RESPECT
• We have a SAFETY MINDSET
• We recognise and REWARD GOOD WORK
• We are EMPOWERED to perform in our jobs
• We have GOOD COMMUNICATION
• We are BUSINESS FOCUSSED
The company has a great human resources operation as well as adapting organisational health and performance procedures to give employees ever piece of assistance they need.
The ideal candidate will be competent in the following areas:
• Time management
• Problem Solving
• Computer Literate
• Interpersonal Skills
• High Attention to Detail
This job is for a permanent Lighthouse Technician to join a team in Cape Town.
You will be responsible for the general maintenance and upkeep of facilities and equipment at Cape Hermes lighthouse based in Port St Johns. You will be reporting to the Operations Supervisor and part of the LNS, Technical Maintenance Central, DNR department.
Your responsibilities will be:
• General Maintenance
• Monitoring the correct functioning of operational equipment.
• Minor repairs and maintenance of operational equipment
• Assist by trouble shooting and fault finding when necessary
• Maintain safety, security and housekeeping standards to ensure compliance to corporate and other policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Regular stock takes and asset verification
• Time management
• Report on breakdowns, client issues, visitor stats, safety concerns etc.
• Acceptance, safekeeping, reconciliation and deposit of moneys where applicable
• Minor projects and assistance on major projects
• Supervision of staff where applicable
• Compliance with all applicable legislation, policies, procedures, processes and guidelines.
Experience in a similar role would be beneficial but not required, however the following qualifications and experiences are required:
• General facilities maintenance experience
• Grade 12
• Civil trade test certificate
• Code 10 drivers licence
Candidates must be competent in the following fields:
• Maintenance Standards and Procedures
• Applicable Transnet Policies and Procedures
• Good communication
• Work without supervision
• Computer literate
• Basic Problem solving
• Fit and healthy
• Must be able to work at heights and at sea (towers, structures in excess of 60m)
• Ability to carry heavy equipment (over 20kg)
Payment has not been specified for this application. However below you will find a rough breakdown of average salaries at Spoornet:
Due to the wide variation of positions available it is hard to define what wage you will earn during your career. But the average wage for Spoornet employees seems to range from R175000 all the way to R500000+ a year.
Head to this webpage and click apply.
• You must also create an account on the Transnet internet pages which is here.
• Take great care that you put in all the correct information, checking twice to make sure you have not made any mistakes.
• When applying, specify the learnership post you are applying for as Chartered Accountants Training Program Learnership.
• Attach copies of your certificates and identity documents. Your ID copy’s must have been certified within the last 3 months. This can be done at any police station.
• Make sure you sign the document with your own unique signature.
• When you have finished the application in your own handwriting, attach it with your Curriculum Vitae and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Late or unsigned application forms will not be accepted.
• Photocopied forms will not be accepted.
There are bursaries with Transnet available for students, the aim of the bursaries is to give you the funds needed to pay for accommodation and other things while still learning in higher education.
The Spoornet bursary is the best solution for students who wish to learn and start a career with Spoornet. The bursary’s will only be given to well driven and enthusiastic students. Any student with a previous background of poor studying habits or dropping out of education prior to applying to this bursary will have a hard time of being accepted.
The Transnet bursary has been created so that students form underprivileged background have a steady shot at securing a good career and future. The bursary money is to go toward your tuition fees, accommodation, required study material and training fees. Successful candidates must work for Transnet for every year they are receiving financial aid from the company.
Transnet has the right to terminate any bursary if the bursar’s academic period is deemed unsatisfactory
• You must be a South African Citizen and have up to date identification forms.
• You must be medically fit.
• Successful candidates must be willing to work during vacation period after the study period is complete and your career begins
• Bursary will only be awarded to those students who have shown the most respect toward their education.
• Selected candidates must be available for interviews once the selection process begins
Download the application form here.
Once downloaded, print out and fill in the application form in your own handwriting.
• Pay close attention to the application form, ensuring you enter all of your details correctly.
• In the section called Intended Qualification – Write: Chartered Accountants Training Program Learnership
• Applicants must fill out their grade 11/12 and tertiary results as well as list any achievements they are proud of during their life.
• Remember to sign and date the application.
• Attach your complete school and university records to the application form with your ID papers.
Once completed Send your application in the mail to:
Transnet Bursary Office
150 Commissioner Street